Regional preparatory meetings
Regional Preparatory Meetings for the upcoming United Nations High Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development
The UN General Assembly (resolution A/RES/67/219) invited UN regional commissions and their subregional offices, in collaboration with other relevant entities of the UN system, as well as IOM and its Council, to organize discussions to examine regional aspects of international migration and development.
- “Asia-Pacific Regional Preparatory Meeting for the General Assembly HLD on Migration and Development” in Bangkok, 29-31 May 2013, for the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) countries. For a detailed report of the meeting, click here.
- "Regional Consultative Meeting on International Migration and Development in the Arab Region (in preparation of the second High High-Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development)” in Cairo, 4-5 June 2013, for the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) and the League of Arab States (LAS) countries. To access the outcome document, click here (EN, AR).
- "Labour Migration as a Factor of Development in the Commonwealth of Independent States" in Moscow, 5 June 2013, for the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). For the background document for the meeting, click here (EN, RU). To access the outcome document, click here (EN, RU).
- “Regional Preparatory Meeting for the African region for the General Assembly HLD on Migration and Development” in Addis Ababa, 3-4 July 2013, for the UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) countries. For the outcome statement, click here
- Latin America and Caribbean Preparatory Meeting for the HLD on International Migration, Human Rights and Development" in Santiago de Chile, 10-11 July, for the UN Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) countries. For more information on the meeting, see the press release and visit the website of the IOM Regional Office San José. To access presentations, see the ECLAC website.
The UN General Assembly (resolution A/RES/67/219) also invited Member States, through appropriate regional consultative processes… to contribute to the high-level dialogue:
- Fourth Global Meeting of Chairs and Secretariats of Regional Consultative Processes on Migration (RCPs) in Lima, 22-24 May 2013, hosted by the Government of Peru and organized in collaboration with IOM. For more information, click here.